Downtown Rochester Traffic Disruptions Start in Just One Week
The City of Rochester says some private projects will also be taking place in the same area and will result in a number of road closures and other changes.
The following changes will impact vehicle traffic through early November:
- 2nd Avenue SW will be closed from 2nd Street to 4th Street SW.
- 3rd Street SW east of 3rd Avenue will become a two-way street to provide access to the Guggenheim dock from 3rd Avenue.
- 3rd Street SW east of 2nd Avenue SW will be closed at the alley. All traffic will be directed south on the alley to 4th Street SW.
Pedestrian traffic will be affected by the following changes through the end of July:
- The sidewalk on the west side of 2nd Avenue from 2nd Street to 4th Street will be completely closed.
- The sidewalk on the north side of 3rd Street SW from 2nd Avenue to the west side of the Guggenheim dock will be completely closed.
- The sidewalks along the south side of 3rd street SW and the east side of 2nd Avenue SW will remain open.
Phase One of the Discovery Walk project was largely completed last year and impacted pedestrian and vehicle traffic in the area of 2nd Avenue SW from 4th Street to 6th Street SW. Phase Two will mainly affect properties owned by Mayo Clinic north of 4th Street SW.
Here’s the DMC description of the $19 million project:
Discovery Walk is a four-block linear parkway in downtown Rochester, MN along 2nd Avenue SW that will serve pedestrians as well as vehicle traffic. This multipurpose public space and streetscape is the first of its kind in Rochester. The vision for this project is to create a high amenity landscaped road and utility reconstruction project in the middle of downtown that prioritizes pedestrian experience while also maintaining flexibility for bike and vehicular access, civic events, and supports future development.